W3C Valid XHTML 1.0
Catching Up

West Sound Technology Association (WSTA) is hosting its monthly meeting on April 19 at Poulsbo City Hall from 5:30p-7:30p. The topic “Windows 8 - What Happened to My Desktop?” is presented by Microsofties who will be crossing the pond to cover the next version in Windows, which promises to be the most significant release of the Windows operating system lineup since Windows 95. Some of the highlights include: (1) Metro User interface - bringing a touch interface to the desktop and tablets alike; (2) Continued improvements in speed, startup time and security, demanded of a audience which expects appliance like simplicity and reliability; and (3) A new Windows application store. Registration is required, and non-members pay a suggested donation of $10. WSTA members attend for free.

University of Washington undergrads were looking to bring established and innovative individuals together to share ideas about technologies which will be the basis for how The Next Generation will interact with the world. From this mission, TedxUofW was created to unite forward-thinking students and pioneering leaders for an empowering dialogue on the future of business, culture + technology. Due to the high demand of the event, individuals were selected to attend this TED event through an application process, and I am honoured to be one of the leaders who will participate the afternoon of April 21 at UW Tower Auditorium.

For the past month, SMB Nation and SMB Technology Network (SMBTN) have been producing “SMB 150”. Sponsored by BlackBerry, The SMB 150 honours individuals who have made a significant impact on the worldwide small and medium business (SMB) channel. All 150 award winners will receive a 64GB BlackBerry PlayBook and will be feted at an awards gala on May 16th at the iconic Westin Bonaventure Hotel. 40% of eligibilty relies on a community voting process, which is open until April 6. The other 60% is determined by an all-star judging panel. I am honoured to be a nominee, and look forward to watching this process unfold with my fellow influencers. No matter who wins the top 150 slots, they are all winners in my eyes for the contributions each makes to the industry.

On April 5 I will be presenting and facilitating a Social Media & Government panel for organisational leaders, policy makers & staff. April 5 from 11:30 to 1:30pm in WSU Training Room at Norm Dicks Gov’t Center. Hosted by Kitsap Regional Coordinating Council (KRCC), the local council of governments which includes the County, cities of Bremerton, Bainbridge island, Port Orchard, Washington & Poulsbo, Washington, Port of Bremerton, Suquamish and Port Gamble/S’Klallam Tribes, and Naval Base Kitsap. The meeting is the first of the 2012 Techno-Tools Event Series. Upcoming meetings include Telework on May 31; Paperless Office Strategies on July 26; and Virtual Collaboration on September 27.

Doña Keating is President and CEO of Professional Options, a prominent innovator in the policy and management consulting industry which provides solutions for businesses, organisations and governmental agencies. She is also a principal in K2 Strategic Solutions, a partnership between Professional Options and Keating Consulting Service which has a combined 50 year history of providing information technology, policy, and management consulting.

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dona Keating's picture
Status: Offline
Member Since: 3-31-2009
Post Count: 39
Comments